Firm: Lavers & Barraud
The window displays 2 rows of scenes from the life of Christ.
The window should be read from left to right, bottom to top.
- Annunciation (Luke 1:26 38)
- Nativity (Luke 2:6:7)
- Christ amongst the Doctors (Luke 2:41 52)
- Baptism of Jesus (Luke 3:21)
- Christ heals the blind beggar (Luke 18:35 42)
- Christ on the Mount of Olives (Luke 22:39 46)
- Suffer the Little Children (Luke 18:15 17)
- The Last Supper (Luke 22:14 20)
- He is not here; he has risen (Matthew 28:5 6)
- Jesus appears to Mary Magdalene (John 20:17)
- The Ascension of Jesus (Luke 24:50-51)
"The stained-glass window above the reredos was the gift of Lady Morrison to whom Sutton owes a debt of gratitude for her munificent contributions to the Church Building Fund and the National Schools." [Church's Directory of Sutton 1880]
A monument by the font is in memory of her husband, Sir James William Morrison Deputy Master of the Royal Mint (1830-50), died 27 June 1856 at their house, The Hermitage, in Wanstead, Essex. Sir James was buried in Sutton, 3 Jul 1856. Their house, a fine Georgian mansion in Snaresbrook Road, was destroyed during the Second World War. Lady Jane Morrison died there in 1871 aged 84 and was buried in at St Nicholas on 15th July 1871. Lady Morrison, was also a great benefactor to Wanstead, leaving money to the Weavers' Alms-houses and donating the bells and a clock to Christ Church. She also paid for the building of the chapel at the Seamen's Orphanage in Wanstead (which is now a synagogue). There is no other known connection with Sutton or St Nicholas church.